Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Titles >  Duplicate Vehicle Title

Duplicate Vehicle Title

If the title to a person's vehicle is lost, stolen or destroyed, they may not sell the vehicle to someone without first obtaining a duplicate title in their name and then releasing the duplicate title to the buyer.

The lienholder or the vehicle owner of record, when there is no lienholder, may apply for a duplicate title if the original has been lost, stolen, destroyed, mutilated or becomes unreadable.

To apply for a duplicate title, the following items are required:

This procedure applies only to titles which have been issued by Alaska. If a person has lost an out-of-state title, they will have to apply to the issuing state to obtain a duplicate title.

Additionally, this procedure does not apply to a title that is not readily accessible, i.e. locked in a safe deposit box or stored or shipped in household goods. If a person has the title or knows the whereabouts of the title, they should not execute an Affidavit of Lost, Stolen or Destroyed Title. To do so may subject them to criminal prosecution.

Writing a letter

If you are unable to display and print the Affidavit of Lost, Stolen or Destroyed Title form and you are unable to obtain this form at a DMV office, you may simply write a letter requesting a duplicate title.

The following information must be included in the letter:

  • Your name (printed)
  • Complete/Correct Serial Number (VIN)
  • Description of the item that you need the title for
  • Signature (Must be notarized)

Please send letters to:

State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
1300 W Benson Boulevard STE 200
Anchorage AK  99503-3600