References & Resources
Employee Self Service (ESS)
The January 17, 2017 Go Live of the IRIS HRM System included the introduction of the Employee Self Service (ESS) module. ESS allows State employees a convenient way to review various payroll information specific to them through a secure online portal accessible both inside and outside the State network.
Through ESS, employees can:
- Submit updates to their contact information, including address changes and emergency contacts
- View tax withholdings/allowances
- Check their leave balance
- Review their performance evaluations
- View payroll information specific to them
Access to ESS
To login to ESS, employees will use their 6-digit Employee ID and enterprise password. If you do not know your employee ID, you may locate it using the Enterprise directory Advanced Search (accessible only from inside the SOA network).
Important Notice - Timesheet Entry through ESS
At Go Live of IRIS HRM on January 17, 2017 the electronic timesheet feature of ESS was piloted by the Department of Administration’s Division of Finance, Division of Personnel and Labor Relations, Division of Administrative Services, and overtime-eligible employees in the Department of Law.
Over time additional divisions and departments began transitioning to ESS TIMEI entry. The following information only pertains to those divisions and departments who have been directed to enter time through ESS. If you are uncertain if this pertains to you, seek guidance from your division timekeeper. All other employees will continue to submit timesheet information as they do today. Similarly, supervisors outside the above listed departments and divisions will continue to approve timesheets as they do today. Timekeepers will then enter the information into IRIS HRM. Timesheets from departments with timekeeping systems (DPS, DFG, DEC and DNR-EFF) will interface timesheets from their respective systems into IRIS HRM.
If your agency is interested in timesheet entry through ESS, please refer to the information on the Implementing Timekeeping in Employee Self Service (ESS) webpage to get started.
Job-Aids and References
- Frequently Asked Questions [XLSX]
- Terminology [PDF]
- How to read your payroll stub & yearly W2 earnings statement [PDF]
- Explanation of Potential Differences in Employee Paychecks [PDF]
- Information Brochure [PDF]
- Reference Guide [PDF] (SOA Only)
- ESS Timesheet (TIMEI) Job Aid [PDF] (SOA Only)
- Timesheet Interface (TADI) Job Aid [PDF] (SOA Only)
Video Tutorials (SOA Only)
IRIS Video Tutorials are available online. These tutorials are available as MPEG-4 (MP4) video files and Shockwave Flash. They are large files, runtime (MM:SS) is notated next to each recording for your reference. Shockwave Flash files are being provided with closed captioning for hearing impaired users.