State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Original License                                             


Original License/1st Time ALASKA License

D = Non-Commercial Driver License IP = Non-Commercial Instruction Permit
A, B & C = Commercial Driver License (CDL) IM = Motorcycle Instruction Permit
M1 = Motorcycle License    (Over 50 cc) IA, IB & IC = Commercial Instruction Permit
M2 = Motorscooter License (50 cc or less)  

An applicant for an original Alaska driver license must be at least 16 years of age and have held a valid driving permit for a minimum of 6 months. If an applicant is under 18 years of age, they must have parental consent to obtain a Provisional drivers license. An Application for Alaska Driver License, Permit or State Identification (Form 478) is required prior to issuance of a license, permit or state ID. The form is available at DMV offices.

If you live in RURAL Alaska, please CLICK HERE for additional information.

In order to obtain an original Alaska license, an applicant must provide documentary proof of the following:

  • Legal name and Date of Birth
  • Secondary item as verification of the primary document
    (Examples of a SECONDARY item are: Permit or license from another state, employee ID, health insurance card, IRS or state tax form, medical records, military dependent identification, pilot's license, school ID)
  • Their current residence address
  • Social Security Card

Please see the following for further information on each of these items.


The following documents are acceptable for proving legal name and date of birth. If your legal name is different than what is printed on your birth certificate, you will need to bring in the document(s) that provide proof of the name change, unless you have previously obtained an Alaska learner's permit or Alaska State ID card in your current name.

  • An original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate (From Vital Statistics)
    If you were born in Puerto Rico, click here for important information
  • Passport (Issued by the United States or Canada. Must be current.)(military or “no fee” passports are only valid for use when used abroad for military purposes and not valid for this purpose)
  • An Alaska learner's permit or Alaska State Identification card.
  • Military Identification for active duty, retiree or reservist.
  • Certificate of Citizenship, Naturalization or Birth Abroad.
  • Passport issued from another country, with appropriate immigration documents.


The document provided must be an original or certified copy of the original issued by a government agency.

  • U.S. Passport (Must be current)(military or “no fee” passports are only valid for use when used abroad for military purposes and not valid for this purpose)
  • Amended birth certificate
  • Certified adoption papers, marriage certificate, court order or divorce decree
  • Certificate of Dissolution, Divorce or Annulment
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Name Change


  • An applicant must present the applicant's valid social security card for verification of the applicant's social security number or
  • other valid documents issued by the United States Social Security Administration or the United States Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service that contain both the applicant's name and social security number.

Note: If a number has been assigned to you, it is required on the application. For information regarding your social security number, please see the following:

According to the Social Security Administration (SSA) it is not illegal to laminate your card. Laminated cards make it difficult, if not impossible; to detect important security features. The DMV will NOT accept cards that have been laminated due to the possibility of fraud. The SSA has never issued a metal or plastic card, therefore these cards are not considered original and will not be accepted.


The following items are acceptable for proving residency. The document must show your residence address, not a post office box or other mail cache facility.

  • Utility bill
  • Alaska voter registration card
  • Alaska title and/or registration (Issued at least 30 days prior to application)
  • Paycheck Stub
  • Medical Assistance card
  • Public Assistance card
  • Cancelled check or bank statement
  • Mortgage or rental documents


An applicant will be required to pass the written knowledge test (or present a valid Alaska learner's permit), a road test, and a vision test prior to being issued a driver license.

A driver license issued to an applicant under the age of 21 will expire 90 days after the applicant's 21st birthday. [AS 28.15.099] All other Alaska driver license's expire on the applicant’s birthday and are valid for approximately five years.  The applicant must pass an alcohol and drug awareness knowledge test to renew their license or to upgrade from a permit to a license.  [AS 28.15.085]

Exceptions:  All applicants that obtained their Alaska driver license prior to October 21st, 2008 and all applicants 21 and older transferring a license from another state. 

PRESS RELEASE regarding Alcohol Awareness Test.

See the following page for fees.   If you need information on where you can take a written or road test, please see the specific office information.

PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES:  Once you have obtained your driver license, it is important to carry it in a safe place.   Do not leave it in a place where it can easily be lost or stolen.  If it does become lost or stolen, the following items (kept at home in a safe place) will make it much easier for you to obtain a duplicate:

  • The original documents used to obtain your license.
  • An ALASKA state identification card.  
  • Photographic employee identification card
  • Military Identification for dependent
  • Passport
  • Pilot's License
  • Marriage license or certificate