Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  Driver License >  Renew your Alaska Driver License

Renew Your Alaska Driver License

When your license will expire in less than a year, it is time to renew it. You can either renew your license online, by mail or in person.

For Commercial Driver License holders, there are additional requirements to renew your CDL.

How can I renew my Alaska driver license by mail?

If. . .

  • You are over 22 years old
  • Your personal information has not changed
  • You did not renew your driver license by mail at your last renewal

We encourage you to renew online.

What if I am younger than 22?

If you are less than 18, please see about either your instruction permit or your provision license.

If you are turning 21, your license will expire 90 days after your birthday. Your new license will no longer have a restriction from purchasing alcohol. To obtain the new license you must take an alcohol awareness test at your local DMV office.

What if I’m out of state when I turn 21 and my license is going to expire?

To renew your license if you are turning 21, you will complete form 482 and submit primary and secondary documents.

How do I renew my license in person?

To renew in person, you must:

  • Go to your local DMV office.
  • Complete form 478, Application for Alaska Driver License, Permit or State Identification
  • Surrender your current Alaska license
  • Show two pieces of ID (primary and secondary documents)
  • Pass a vision test
  • Have your photo taken
  • Pay a fee
  • Pass a written knowledge test if you got a license in another state after your last Alaska license

What if I don't have a local DMV?

You may renew your license through the mail, please read the renewal section of our Guide to Rural Driving Information.

How do I update my personal information?

Vision or Eyes
If you had eye surgery and can pass the vision test without glasses or contacts, you can have the restriction removed from your license.
Name Change
If your name changed since your last license was issued, you must be able to document the change.
Gender Change 
If your gender has changed since your last license was issued, you must provide proof of the correct information.  Use form 427, and provide:
  • A certification from a healthcare provider
  • One of the following documents:
    • An amended birth certificate
    • A valid U.S. passport or passport card
    • A court order granting the change of sex or gender

Please read more details about changing your personal information.

Help! I'm out of state and my license expired.
What do I do?

If you are out of state when your license expires, apply for a license extension letter to extend the expiration date for one year.

  • Email the completed form to:
  • fax to: 907-465-5509
  • mail to:

    Division of Motor Vehicles
    Juneau Driver Services
    PO Box 110221
    Juneau AK  99811-0221