New Employee Responsibiliity
Last Update: 11/01/2017
The following information is provided to help you complete the orientation process and to identify time sensitive items that need to be completed. Please review the following carefully. Questions should be directed to the Employee Call Center at (907)465-3009 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Unless otherwise noted in the instructions or on the form, all documents should be submitted to Payroll Services. The email addresses and fax numbers for submitting paperwork to Payroll Services can be found on page 3 of the Payroll Contact List (PDF)
Complete all steps in the orientation process
- Review General Information
- Review DRB's New Employee Benefit Education Videos / Checklist
- Review Insurance Enrollment Information (Be aware of enrollment deadlines!)
- Review Retirement Information
- Review Resources and Policies
- Print and complete all of the appropriate forms on the Forms page (You are required to complete forms immediately and in no case later than 3 days after your appointment date.)
- Meet with your supervisor or appropriate departmental representative for department orientation (Bring all forms with you for processing.)
- Bring the required documentation for the Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) (A list of the required documentation can be found on the back of the I-9 form.)
- Bring your Social Security Card (This is a Federal requirement for the state which is separate from the I-9 documentation requirements.)
- • Bring a copy of a personal check with the routing number on it or other bank verification of account number as applicable, if you choose to use Direct Deposit (Direct Deposit is strongly recommended.) Important Note: Expect up to two pay periods for processing of new direct deposit or changes to allow for the pre-note process. Prior to that you will receive your check via mail.
The following items are time sensitive:
You must elect coverage within 30 days of your hire date, or you will be enrolled in the default plan. Refer to the following link for determining the appropriate plan and contact information: http://doa.alaska.gov/drb/ghlb/employee/health/planDetails.html
General Government Bargaining Unit (GGU)
- Complete the GGU Health Trust Notification form at: https://www.aseahealth.org/forms/enrollment-and-eligibility-forms
- General Government bargaining unit insurance will begin on the first (1st) day of the month following 30 consecutive calendar days of employment.
- You must enroll online at: http://doa.alaska.gov/drb/ghlb/employee/info/enrollInstructions.html
- Coverage is provided to full time permanent/probationary employees and full-time long-term nonpermanent employees, and their dependents, on the thirty-first (31st) consecutive calendar day of employment.
Labor, Trades and Crafts (LTS)
- Complete the LTC Health Trust Notification form at: http://doa.alaska.gov/dop/fileadmin/Employee_Orientation/pdf/LTCHealthTrustform.pdf
- Insurance information is online at http://www.local71.com/
- LTC health insurance will begin on the first (1st) day of the month following 30 consecutive calendar days of employment.
Public Safety Employee Association (PSEA)
- Complete the PSEA Health and Welfare Trust form at: http://www.pseahealth.com/forms.php
- Insurance information is online at http://www.pseahealth.com/plan-info-benefits.php
- PSEA health insurance will begin on the first (1st) day of the month following 30 consecutive calendar days of employment.
Master, Mates & Pilots (MMP)
- Contact the Plan Office at 1-877-667-5522.
- Insurance information is online at http://bridgedeck.org/health-benefit-forms/
- MM&P health insurance will begin on the first (1st) day of the month following 30 consecutive calendar days of employment.
Leave without pay taken within the first 30 days of employment may postpone health insurance coverage until you are in pay status for 30 consecutive days.
Optional / Voluntary Supplemental Benefits
All employees, except LTC and some emergency employees, are eligible for Optional / Voluntary Supplemental Benefits. Optional / Voluntary Supplemental Benefit enrollment must be completed within 30 calendar days from your date of hire to qualify for those selections in the current benefit year. You must enroll online at: http://doa.alaska.gov/drb/benefits/employee/enrollment.html (Follow the instructions under the section, How to Enroll ).
Complete Optional / Voluntary Supplemental Benefits information is available on the Division of Retirement & Benefits website at: http://doa.alaska.gov/drb/benefits/employee/life/ and http://doa.alaska.gov/drb/benefits/employee/VSBs/.
The State is required to notify you that it is your responsibility to contact the appropriate Union within 10 days of your hire date. The contact information is included on the Union Notification Form at the following link. http://doa.alaska.gov/dop/fileadmin/Employee_Orientation/pdf/UnionNotificationForm.pdf.
GGU employees will find their Union Notification at the following link: http://doa.alaska.gov/dop/fileadmin/Employee_Orientation/pdf/GGUMemberNotice.pdf.