State of Alaska, Department of Administration, Division of Personnel and Labor Relations

General Information

Last Updated: November 2013

The following provides you with an overview of the information that pertains to your employment as a State of Alaska employee. To determine how this information applies to you specifically, you may need to refer to your individual collective bargaining agreement.

Employment Status

The following describes the five main types of positions in the classified service. Your supervisor can tell you the position type and required hours for your position.

Permanent Full-time: Work 37.5 hours per week. For health insurance and retirement benefits purposes only, 30 hours is considered full time.

Permanent Part-time: Work less than 37.5 hours per week. Must work a minimum of 15 hours per week to be eligible for health insurance with retirement benefits, holiday pay and accrued leave prorated based on the number of hours worked per week.

Permanent Seasonal: Fulltime or part-time, but less than 12 months per year.

Nonpermanent, Short-Term: Short-Term nonpermanent employment is less than 120 calendar days and the employee is not eligible for most benefits.

Nonpermanent, Long-Term: Long-Term nonpermanent employment is longer than 120 calendar days and the employee may be entitled to holiday pay, accrued leave, and health insurance, but is not eligible for retirement benefits.

Nepotism Prohibited

The Executive Branch Ethics Act (AS 39.950 (11)) prohibits employees from being in an employment relationship with an immediate family member, including a conjugal relationship that is not a legal marriage.

The statute and regulation (AS 39.90.020 and 2 AAC 07.112 and 2 AAC 07.950) pertaining to nepotism also prohibit the appointment of certain individuals. The regulation does allow for a waiver if there is not a direct supervisory relationship.

For more information view the Nepotism Ethics FAQ.

Probationary Period

All new employees in the classified service who are hired into a permanent position are required to complete a probationary period prior to being allowed to become permanent. During this time, the new employee has the first opportunity to evaluate the agency as a place to work. Likewise, the supervisor will evaluate the employee's job performance. If the employee's performance is not satisfactory, the employee will be notified in writing during the probationary period and the employee may be terminated at that time.

Duration, extension, and other details of the probation period differ depending upon the governing collective bargaining agreement. See specific agreement for details.

Performance Evaluations

Performance evaluations are required at specific times for all classified employees. They are designed to rate the quality and quantity of your work, interpersonal relationships and work habits. Performance evaluations are prepared by your supervisor at the midpoint and end of your probationary period, and are continued annually after that period. A performance evaluation may be completed when the employee is promoted, has a change of supervisor, when there are performance issues, and at the time the employee terminates his or her employment with the state.

Performance evaluations are based upon the performance of the duties and tasks assigned the employee. These tasks are listed in each employee's position description (PD). A copy of your PD can be obtained from your supervisor.

Pay/Compensation Information


You may be required to complete a timesheet each pay period; please check with your supervisor for specific requirements.

Payroll Warrant (Your Paycheck)

You will receive a payroll warrant twice a month (semi-monthly) in most cases. Official paydays are the 15th and the last working day of the month. Payroll warrants are in the mail prior to the official payday so employees will have them by the official payday. You have the choice of having your payroll warrant mailed to an address of your choice or to have your wages electronically deposited to a financial institution of your choice. Please refer to the appropriate State calendar for dates.

*Correctional Officers, Alaska Aerospace Corporation, and some AMHS employees are paid bi-weekly instead of semi-monthly.

Employee Self Service

State employees who elect to receive their pay via direct deposit are able to view their payroll advice (paystub) information through the Employee Self Service web site. This web site allows State employees to easily access their own personal information in a secure manner that protects confidentiality.

The payroll information presented online is identical to the information delivered to employees who have their paper warrants (paychecks) mailed.

State employees who elect to receive a paper paycheck will receive their payroll information attached to the warrant. This information is also available through the Employee Self Service web site.

Finding Your Pay Advice (Paystub) in IRIS ESS

  1. From the "Home" page click on "My Info", then "My Compensation".
  2. Select "Issued Checks / Advices".
  3. Select the paperclicp on the row that represents the paystub you would like to view.
  4. Select "Download".
  5. Click "Open" to display your Pay Advice as a PDF document, or click "Save" to save the document.

There are many resource links available on the Division of Finance web site to help employees become familiar with this service.

Salary Schedules

Salary Schedules list the semi-monthly, bi-weekly or hourly pay rate for each salary range. Salary schedules are determined by both collective bargaining agreements and geographical locations and are maintained by the Department of Administration, Division of Finance.

State Calendars

State Calendars highlighting payroll warrant distribution days and holidays are available for both semi-monthly and bi-weekly schedules on the Department of Administration website.


Most employees except short-term nonpermanent, emergency, or intern employees are entitled to payment for all legal holidays listed in the individual collective bargaining unit agreements or in the Personnel Rules, whichever covers your employment status. In order to be eligible for holiday pay, you must be in pay status at least a portion of the scheduled workdays immediately preceding and following the holiday. Part-time employees will receive holiday pay on a prorated basis. See the State Calendars for a complete listing of observed holidays. If you do not work a regular Monday-Friday work week, please refer to your collective bargaining unit agreement for specific holiday observance information.

Payroll Deductions Summary

The State of Alaska as your employer must take certain mandatory deductions from your paycheck as required by law, regulation, or collective bargaining agreement. The following is a summary of the possible mandatory deductions.

  • Medicare Liability: Mandatory federal tax for Medicare Liability and Coverage of 1.45% of gross pay.
  • Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS) or Teachers' Retirement System (TRS): Pre-taxed mandatory deduction of gross pay.
  • Supplemental Annuity Plan (SBS-AP): Pre-taxed mandatory deduction of 6.13% of gross pay to an annuities account up to the current year social security limit.
  • Employee Premium Contribution for Health Insurance: Varies, depending on your collective bargaining agreement and your selections.
  • Union Dues: Please contact your union for this information.
  • Federal Withholding: Federal income tax

Other payroll deductions will be taken to cover the cost of health insurance and other optional insurance benefits that you may elect. Refer to the Insurance Enrollment Information page for more information about your enrollment options.

Technology Benefit

As a state employee you qualify for discounts on some computer-related purchases. Ask your department IT contact for details.

Leave Benefits

All probationary/permanent employees accrue personal leave. If you have prior state service and have recorded it on the appropriate prior service form included in your hire packet, you may be credited with that service for the calculation of your accrual rate. If you are a part-time employee, your leave will accrue on a prorated basis. If you work seasonally, you will accrue leave during the period you are on active duty.

Accrued personal leave is available for use after successful completion of thirty (30) consecutive calendar days of leave eligible employment. Personal leave can be used for both vacation and medical reasons. Leave taken for medical reasons may be for the employee or the employee's immediate family. Whenever possible, leave should be pre-approved. You should check with your supervisor regarding requirements for requesting leave in advance and notifying someone of the need for unplanned leave.

Please refer to your individual bargaining unit agreement for a complete explanation of your leave benefits including accrual rates, mandatory leave requirements, and to determine when your accrued leave is available for use.

NOTE: Please be aware that defaulting into leave without pay (LWOP) may adversely affect your leave and insurance benefits. Leave accruals are prorated when LWOP occurs and insurance effective dates may be affected. Further information regarding LWOP and insurance can be found on the Insurance Enrollment Information page.

Union Information

Union Membership / Representation

Most employees who work for the State of Alaska are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement. This means that your working conditions, salary, benefits, and many other aspects of your employment are addressed by this agreement.

If your position is represented by a union, it is your responsibility to contact them on your own time regarding any obligations. The contact information is included on the Union Notification form and the GGU Notification Form on the New Employee Orientation Forms page. If you are unsure which union represents you, please check with your supervisor.

Union Business Leave Bank

In accordance with the union contracts, new employees may be assessed a pre-determined amount of personal leave to be transferred to the appropriate union business leave bank. Please refer to your individual bargaining unit agreement or contact the union that represents you for specific information.

Union Contracts

To request a copy of your bargaining agreement, please contact your designated union office. Electronic versions may be found on the Labor Relations website.