State of Alaska

Department of Administration

Division Of Motor Vehicles

Alaska Department of Administration, Divison of Motor Vehicles
Administration >  Motor Vehicles >  University Plates Page                                             


University Plates

University of Alaska - Anchorage
University of Alaska - Fairbanks
University of Alaska - Southeast
University of Alaska - Prince William Sound


Click HERE to view the new UAF design for a personalized license plate.

University license plates are available for use on motor vehicles.

The vehicle on which the University plates are used must be currently registered. There is a fee of $50.00, which is charged at the time of initial issuance, as well as when replacing lost, damaged or stolen plates. 

The following items are required to transfer University Plates:

  • Application
  • Copy of the current registration for the vehicle the plates are being transferred to.
  • Copy of last registration showing the university plate to be transferred.   (Requested but not required)
  • Transfer fee of $5.00

NOTE:  The name on the current registration must match the name on the vehicle the plates are being transferred from.

University plates may be available at the DMV Office in the city where each campus is located. Please check with your local office for availability. Any person may request University plates, it is not necessary that the applicant be a student, graduate, or have any affiliation with the University.

To obtain University plates, you would need to complete a Vehicle Transaction Application and pay the $50.00 plate fee. Residents from locations other than Fairbanks, Anchorage, Juneau and Valdez, may submit their applications at any DMV office.  Their University plates will be mailed to them in approximately 30 days.

University plates are available for the following  campuses:  University of Alaska Anchorage, University of Alaska Fairbanks, University of Alaska Southeast and Prince William Sound Community College.

REV. 8/30/05